Miss Porter’s School Global Leadership & Social Entrepreneurship Certificate affords high school girls the opportunity and challenge to develop their own social enterprise to address pressing global issues. Through the lens of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, students will engage in a yearlong exploration of female leadership, empowerment, global citizenship, technology, and innovation in an area of their choosing. The Certificate is open to young women in grades 9-12 (or the equivalent) who are interested in an interdisciplinary approach to exploring institutions, processes, and diverse communities that shape our world.
The program will be a combination of in-person workshops (when possible) as well as synchronous and asynchronous online learning with MPS faculty. The Certificate program will culminate in individual social enterprise proposals that students will present to students, faculty, and professionals in relevant fields across the world.
Each student will explore:
- personal identity and its impact on our perspectives and how we move through the world;
- female leadership and individual leadership styles;
- self-challenge and intellectual risk-taking;
- navigating group decision-making and the roles they play;
- UN SDGs and Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- the impact of technology, innovation, and social entrepreneurship on young women globally;
- individual beliefs and value systems;
- design thinking as a process to impact global issues;
- and particular global issues they feel passionate about and are relevant to their lives;
Each student will develop:
- cross-cultural knowledge and communication skills;
- the ability to think critically about global change;
- and a deeper understanding of the interconnected and interdependent nature of our world.